Indiana disabled parking permits improve the lives of disabled drivers by giving them access to disabled parking infrastructure across the entire US. Applying for an Indiana disabled parking permit is a quick and straightforward process. Let’s discuss how to get your disabled parking permit online in Indiana.
Get Your Disabled Parking Permit Online In Indiana
Disabled drivers in Indiana, as well as carers of disabled people in the state, can apply for an Indiana disabled parking permit online. The process involves accessing the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles website and a telemedicine clinic such as Dr. Handicap.
Who Issues Disabled Parking Permits In Indiana?
Indiana disabled parking permits are issued by the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).
What Types Of Disabled Parking Permits Are Available In Indiana?
The following types of disabled parking permits are available in Indiana:
- Permanent disabled parking placard
- Temporary disabled parking placard
- Company disabled parking placard (for organizations that are authorized to operate programs, including the provision of transportation, or facilities for people with disabilities)
- Disability license plate
- Disabled veterans license plate
Who Is Eligible For A Disability License Plate In Indiana?
A disability license plate may be issued to:
- A person with a permanent qualifying disability.
- A person who has already been issued a permanent parking placard.
- An organization that is authorized to operate programs, including the provision of transportation, or facilities for people with disabilities.
- A person, other than the disabled person, who designates a vehicle as one that is regularly used to transport the disabled person, who is certified by a health care provider as having a qualifying disability.
How Do I Get A Handicap Parking Permit In Indiana?
You can get an Indiana disabled parking permit by submitting a medically certified Indiana disabled placard application to the Indiana BMV. The quickest way to get your medical certification online is to arrange a video consultation through an online telemedicine clinic.
Once the examining medical professional verifies your disability and suitability for a disabled parking permit, they will email you a signed copy of an application form. You can then complete the form and submit it in person to any Indiana license branch or by mail to:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Winchester Mail Processing Center
PO Box 100
Winchester, IN 47394
How Much Does An Indiana Disabled Parking Placard Cost?
- Temporary disabled parking placards cost $5.
- Permanent disabled parking placards are free.
- Disability license plates cost the standard vehicle registration fees.
What Are The Qualifying Conditions For An Indiana Disabled Parking Permit?
The qualifying conditions for a disabled parking permit in Indiana are:
- A permanent or temporary physical disability requiring the use of a wheelchair, a walker, braces, or crutches.
- Permanent or temporary loss of the use of one or both legs.
- A permanent or temporary severe restriction in mobility due to a pulmonary or cardiovascular disability, arthritic condition, or orthopedic or neurological impairment.
- Permanent or temporary blindness or visual impairment.
Who Can Certify An Application For An Indiana Disabled Parking Permit?
The following types of medical professionals can certify an application for disabled parking in Indiana:
- Licensed physician
- Advanced practice registered nurse
- Physician’s assistant
How Long Does It Take To Get A Handicap Placard In Indiana?
You can complete the application process for an Indiana disabled parking permit in 24 hours. It generally takes up to seven business days for your application to be processed.
When Do Indiana Disabled Parking Permits Expire?
Temporary Indiana disabled parking placards are valid for one year. Permanent placards do not expire and don’t need to be renewed unless a licensed physician certifies that the permit holder no longer has a disability. Disability license plates are valid as long as the vehicle registration is up to date.
How To Renew An Indiana Disabled Parking Permit
If you still need to use disabled parking once your temporary placard expires after a year, you must apply for a new one. You can do this by submitting a new medically certified application form to the BMV.
You can renew your disability license plate online at myBMV.com, at any self-service terminal, by mail, or at any BMV license branch.
Featured image by Josh Hild on Pexels